Tuesday 24 April 2012

What's That?

Returning home from my GP's surgery, riding upstairs in the Number 101 'bus, I again noticed something I had spotted before and never worked out where it was. This was when travelling down the hill of Chatham Maidstone Road, passing the end of Gladstone Road...


What is that building in the distance, rising up above all around it? I hadn't been able to think of anywhere I knew over in that general direction that stood out from the surrounding street scene, as this seems to do. Here's a closer view...


I had to wait until I returned home, then checked the precise direction via Google Street View, then switched to the aerial view and traced the line – straight to the far end of Gladstone Road, just beyond and a fraction to the right (north). This is what I found...


Yes, it's that wide block at the southern end of Semple Gardens! It's not only high, and at a (relatively) high altitude, it's also very wide – so here is just one side and the middle section of the block...


Well, that's one long-standing mystery finally solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, with 'clean' language, though not anonymous attacks. Note that comment moderation is enabled, and anonymous comments have again been disallowed as the facility has been abused.