Thursday 17 May 2012

Jim Henson Went 22 Years Ago

Can it really have been that long? The legacy he left, though, remains with us today, and rightly so. Long may it continue!

I first encountered Jim Henson's Muppets on TV in a pantomime story they did back in the very early days, two or three years before their British television series came into being.

It was the sheer humanity of Kermit, Rowlf, Zoot, Animal, Miss Piggy and the others that struck me then and made me determined to look out for them from then on – as I often do with up-and-coming talent.

Some might dismiss the Muppets as nothing more than light entertainment; but right from the outset they have shown that they are so much more than that.

It is why I never use the word "muppet" as a term of derision: I have too great a respect for the true Muppets ever to make that mistake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, with 'clean' language, though not anonymous attacks. Note that comment moderation is enabled, and anonymous comments have again been disallowed as the facility has been abused.